Boston Globe | Boston bombers likely planned more attacks, officials say

WASHINGTON — Boston officials said today the Tsarnaev brothers were prepared to launch more violent attacks before their odyssey of terror was disrupted last week — given the large quantity of explosives and ammunition they possessed — but that all evidence thus far indicates they were acting alone and were not part of a broader conspiracy.

“All of the information I have is they acted alone, these two individuals, the brothers,’’ Mayor Thomas M. Menino said on ABC’s “This Week.’’

“The older brother’s dead now. We have the second one … in very serious condition,’’ he said. In an apparent reference to his medical condition, he added, “We don’t know if we’ll ever be able to question the individual.”

Menino’s comment only fueled more questions about the medical condition of the younger suspect, Dzhokar Tsarnaev, who is listed as as serious but stable at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center with undisclosed injuries.

On Saturday, Governor Deval Patrick said the young man was not able to be interviewed. Speaking on “This Week’’ today, Senator Dan Coats of Indiana, a member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Committee, said, “The information we have is that there was a shot to the throat, and it’s questionable when and whether he’ll be able to talk again.  Doesn’t mean he can’t communicate.  But right now I think he’s in a condition where they can’t get any information from him at all.”

More.



(18853 Posts)

Leave a Reply