Fox | FBI breaks into San Bernardino gunman’s iPhone without Apple’s help

via Fox News:

 

FBI - Apple (200x200)FBI breaks into San Bernardino gunman’s iPhone without Apple’s help, ending court case

March 29, 2016

The U.S. Justice Department announced Monday it has successfully accessed data stored on the iPhone that belonged to the San Bernardino gunman without Apple’s help, ending the court case against the tech company.

The surprise development effectively ends a pitched court battle between Apple and the Obama administration.

The government asked a federal judge to vacate a disputed order forcing Apple to help the FBI break into the iPhone, saying it was no longer necessary.

The court filing in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California provided no details about how the FBI did it or who showed it how.

A law enforcement official said Monday night that DOJ no longer requires the assistance of Apple in unlocking the iPhone that belonged to San Bernardino gunman Syed Farook given that the third party method demonstrated to FBI earlier this month proved successful.

The official added that the decision to request that the order compelling Apple to assist FBI be vacated by the court for that same reason.

The law enforcement official said that FBI is currently reviewing the information on Farook’s iPhone and that the bureau will continue to explore every lead to make sure that all evidence in the San Bernardino terror attack is collected. The official would not comment on what FBI may have found on the phone as of now. (Read More)

 

Read the full article on Fox News

 

 

C4P - SHARE



(3831 Posts)

Leave a Reply